Fontina Baguette Toasts with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Puréed sun-dried tomatoes are spread atop slices of lightly toasted French bread, topped with a mixture of beaten egg whites and fontina cheese, and then broiled until puffed and golden.
12 baguette slices, about 1/2-inch thick
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, puréed
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of paprika or Spanish smoked paprika
3/4 cup Wisconsin Fontina Cheese, finely shredded
2 tablespoons Wisconsin Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven 400°F (205°C).
- Place bread on baking sheet and lightly toast. Spread a thin layer of the sun-dried tomatoes over each slice. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the mustard and paprika and stir in Fontina. Set aside.
- Add pinch of salt to egg whites. In deep, narrow bowl, beat until the whites form stiff peaks. Fold into cheese mixture.
- Top baguette slices with cheese mixture, dividing evenly. Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese over.
- Bake until puffed and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 appetizer servings.
Variation: Replace Fontina with Wisconsin Gruyère or Swiss Cheese. Replace sun-dried tomatoes with a layer of finely chopped niçoise olives or well drained purchased olivada.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.