Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Bruschetta
Turn this popular flavor combination into bite-size appetizers with an Italian twist.
8 to 10 slices bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled
3 to 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/3 cup)
1 cup chopped leafy green lettuce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Approximately 1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 package (16-ounce) twin French bread loaves, cut in 1/4-inch slices
1/3 cup favorite crumble cheese, blue cheese or feta (optional)
- In medium bowl, stir together all topping ingredients; set aside.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of bread slices; place on baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C), turning once, for 7 minutes per side or until crisp and golden brown; cool.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon topping on each toast round.*
Makes about 24 appetizers.
* Or, serve topping in a small bowl, surrounded by the toast rounds.
Tailgate Tip: Prepare and refrigerate topping ingredients and bake toast rounds ahead of time. For best flavor, stir together topping ingredients just before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 68 calories; Protein: 2 grams; Fat: 5 grams; Sodium: 121 milligrams; Cholesterol: 2 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Carbohydrates: 6 grams; Fiber: 1 grams
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.